Sunday, November 6, 2011

The morning of the time change

It would seem that something, which means poverty, disorder and violence every single day, should be avoided entirely, but the desire to beget children is a natural urge.  ~Phyllis Diller

The boys woke up at 6am today. Ryder woke up first. How did I know he was awake? Well, at some point in the night, he came into my bed. I was dead asleep, dreaming sweet dreams without care when all of a sudden; a little shank like finger went right up my nose. Yes, for a brief second, I thought I was going to die. My eye’s shot open and I screamed a little and sat bolt up in bed. By scaring me, he must have scared himself because he screamed too and started crying. I said, “Why did you do that to mommy? Don’t do that again.” He replied, “I want a snack, I’m hungry.” Hmm…So, you’re hungry and you decide to put your finger up my nose? I always knew he was my gross one! J Anyway, I got him some crackers (which are his favorite food, good ol’ saltines), put on Tangled and told him to relax for a little while because mommy was tired. I laid down and closed my eyes. It must have been about a half hour later, although it seemed like 2 minutes, I felt like someone was looking at me so I opened my eyes and Stefan was an inch from my face whispering, “Moooommm, I need to go potty.” Sheesh, do kids know how creepy they can be? I thought of the movie Paranormal Activity and wondered how long he had been standing there before my eyes shot open.

We have now eaten breakfast and they are eating Sunchips and watching Bee Movie, which I think I have seen about a hundred times but it is actually a movie I love so, I am okay with it. As long as it’s not Lightning McQueen, the world is good.

As I settle down here on the couch, I’m thinking about all there is to do today. I still have another midterm due for school that I have been putting off. Its multiple choice so, I’m not sure why I am so worried about it, its not as if I have to be creative or anything. I need to give the boys a bath and get them all snazzy for church today. I’m so tired that part of me wants to just skip it today but, I know I will regret it if I do so, I guess I’ll be an adult do what I need to do. I promised the boys we would ride bikes today since it is actually supposed to be niceish outside. I have to clean laundry, fold laundry, and put laundry away. Yes, that’s three different things. There is no “simply”, doing the laundry.  It becomes a big chore. Plus, the Christmas gifts hiding in my closet (although there are very few of them at the moment) takes up way to much room.

A few of my friends are stating one thing they are thankful for everyday from November 1 through Thanksgiving. I wanted to jump on the bandwagon but everything I put sounded really lame. I’m thankful for my children, I’m thankful for a job, I’m thankful for my extended family (you know who you are), I’m thankful for all that I have…I could go on and on but, it all seems so generic. It’s like when someone asks you, “Why do you love me?” and you answer by giving them a list of all their qualities. Although you mean what you are saying, it doesn’t sound like it is coming from the heart. So, I decided to say really quickly what I love, which is similar to saying what I am thankful for because I am thankful for the things I love…

…I love the holiday season and making traditions with the boys. I love walking outside and seeing the tree’s ablaze with color and the smell of rotten leaves. Yes, rotten leaves, if you take the time out, it smells amazing.  I love it that the weather is cool enough to wear a sweater and not be too cold or hot. I love it that the Christmas excitement bubbles up inside me. I love the Peanuts holiday shows and the appropriateness of watching The Grinch, The Santa Clause, and Home Alone. I love the smell of baking cookies, because face it, they smell the best in Nov/Dec. I love it that the phrase, “We’ll have to tell Santa Clause.” Stops a total fit in the store because of a toy they want. I love the Elf on the Shelf and all the Christmas decorations and twinkling lights. I love the smell of the Christmas tree and the feeling I get when we all sit down on the couch in the dark, with the only light coming from the lit up tree, with cocoa in our hand and blankets all around us and “A Year without a Santa Clause” on TV. I am thankful to have these things and to be able to do and experience these things.

“The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C.  This wasn't for any religious reasons.  They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin. “          

Jay Leno

1 comment:

  1. Another great post--funny and sweet!
    I'll have to tell my boys never wake mommy up with a finger up my nose! :)

    ReplyDelete